Department of Physics is a dynamic centre for research at the frontiers of Physics. The emphasis at the curricular level is to give a broad coverage of most common branches of physics in keeping with the inter-disciplinary nature of the subject today. The Department is well equipped with a wide range of sophisticated instruments. The Department admits students to a three year degree programs in B.Sc.
|1||Dr Peer Zahoor Ahmad||Ph.D, M.Sc.||Associate professor|
|1||Prof Shafiq Ahmad Tantray||M.Sc., NET||Asstt professor||8|
|Dark Room – A|
|Dark Room – B|
|Technical Assistant Room|
Laser Kit with all accessories – 03
Air track apparatus with all accessories0 -01
Cathode Ray Oscilloscopes -04
Hall Effect Apparatus -01
Zeeman Apparatus -01
J.J. Thomson e/m Apparatus -05
Millikan’s Oil Drop Apparatus -01
Michelson’s Interferometer -01
Light Sources (Mercury, Sodium, Halogen) – 15
Power Genset (2KVA) – 01
Department of Physics organized one day subject tour at Mini-hydel power project, Pahalgam on 15th June 2013. The students of B.Sc. 3rd year along with the staff visited the generating station and the barrage. The students had thorough interaction with the engineers of the Project, and developed huge interest about the technology and its utility, its limitation, depleting of land and the environmental risks in the surroundings. The students along with staff got so inspired that most of the students thoroughly enquired about the state’s potential regarding hydal energy. In addition, they were briefed about the mechanism involved in the functioning of all the components of the power project.
- To investigate the factors affecting the surface tension of liquid (Water).
- Study the magnetic field produced by passing current through an improvised coil.
- Construction of transformer and its characteristics.
- Study magnetic elements of the earth at your place of residence.
- the variation in the resistance of conductors (metals) with the change in temperature.
- Study magnetic screening of various instruments (watch, etc.) under various conditions.
- Construction of an electrical generator.
- Construction of a galvanometer and then its conversion into ammeter and voltmeter.
- Construction of an electric motor and then its conversion into juicer/mixer etc.
- Construction of telegraph and then its communication.
- Construction of telescope/microscope and their magnifying powers.
- Fabrication of logic gates (OR, AND, NOT, NOR, NAND) using diodes, transistors and leds.
- Construction of a submarine using plastic bottles.
- Construction of a ship using plastic bottles.
- Construction of water court for football/volley ball/badminton.