Department of Economics
About the department & the subject
B.A. Economics is one amongst the earliest courses introduced in Government Degree College Sopore. It is one of the highly reputed programmes taught in the college. The department also offers Economic Honours programme which is most sought course amongst the humanities courses. The department is credited with experienced and dedicated faculty which aims and works for a holistic development of students. The Department of Economics is committed to the advancement of knowledge and learning in the field of economics.
Economics as a branch of social science deals with the production, distribution and consumption of goods and services. This discipline aims to explain how economies work and economic agents interact in the market. The course introduces students to the basics of Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Quantitative techniques and other specialized areas like Public Finance, International Trade, Money and Financial Markets, and Indian Economy. The papers and the course offered, aims to provides a theoretical and practical understanding of the core economic principles both, at micro and macro level and enables one to understand what, ‘being developed’ entails in this globalized world and what policy initiatives can be taken to make any economy a more advanced and developed. Economic analysis is also applied throughout society, in business, finance and government organizations. The mission of the Department of Economics consists of two interconnected components: imparting the highest quality instruction to our undergraduate and graduate students and to train students in the methods and ideas of modern theoretical and applied economics.
The department envisions achieving high standards of academic performance to provide quality education to students, equip students with knowledge and skills in their chosen stream and to provide opportunities for students to realize their full potential. Thus, the department aims to shape the students into future leaders to address the emerging global challenges and to deal with economic, social and business realities.
- Preparing students for modern day challenges and global competition is at the heart of the teaching learning process of the department
- To enable our students to become policy-literate and thus be more informed as citizens
- To ensure that our students have the integrative and critical thinking skills as well as quantitative and qualitative abilities to analyze complex domestic, economic, social and global problems
- To ascertain that our students have the necessary interpersonal, communication and leadership skills so that they can function as responsible citizens and effective leaders
- To create a community of teacher-scholars and students who are actively engaged with each other and the world
- To prepare our students for successful careers as applied economists
|Dr. Musavir Ul Habib||MA | NET | M.Phil | PhD||Assistant professor (HOD)||9023170518|