Department of Social Sciences
About the department & the subject
Sociology is the youngest branch of social sciences. Its major concern is society, and hence it is popularly known as ” Science of Society” It studies the nature and character of human society and also its origin, development, structure and functions. At the personal level, sociology investigates the social causes and consequences of such things as racial and gender identity, family conflict, deviant behaviour, ageing and religious faith. At the societal level sociology examines and explains matters like crime and law, poverty and wealth, prejudice and discrimination, schools and education, business firms, urban community and social movements. At the global level sociology studies such phenomena as population growth and migration, war, peace and economic development. Sociology yield powerful insights into the social process shaping human lives and social problems and prospects in the contemporary world. Briefly Speaking Sociology Studies: Social Institutions, Social Relationships, Social Processes, Social Problems.
- To provide a better plate form for the students of Sociology for higher learning
- To produce the best human resource for the optimum development of the society and the nation
- To inculcate sociological knowledge, social values, patriotism among the students
- To attract a maximum number of students towards the field of Sociology
- To provide regular counselling to the students for their academic excellence and future prospects