Department of Botany
The Department of Botany was established in 1957 as intermediate college & 1962 as Degree College. The department offers degree course at UG level for B.Sc. 1st year, 2nd year and 3rd year with Botany as one of the subject with other subject combinations like Zoology, Chemistry, Sericulture, Biotechnology, Geology, Geography and English. Examination system is varied such as annual system with single paper scheme for B.Sc. 2nd year & 3rd year students, however from the current session 2015-16 semester system has been introduced by the University.
The department organizing extension/guest lecturers for students perusing botany at UG level by inviting subject experts from the affiliated University/Research Centres.
The eminent academicians/scientists who visited the department include:-
- D.B. Singh- Prof. & Head Division of Post-Harvest Fruits and vegetables CITH ( Central Institute of Temperate Horticulture) Srinagar.
- Irfan Rashid Kakroo ( Dept. of Botany) Kashmir University.
- Zaffar Shadab ( Assistant Professor Deptt. Of Botany, Govt. Degree College Bla.).
- Imtiyaz ( Research Scholar SKIMS) Sgr
The teaching methods adopted by the faculty members is use of marker board/Alkosine board with marker/chalk as means of teaching learning process. In addition the teachers use of bio-visual charts/models and at times use of PPT for bio-usual specimens & graphic presentation on the various topics related syllabi.The department has ICT/Wi-Fi facility with uninterrupted power back-up.
In addition to teaching the faculty members shoulder the additional responsibility of organizing NSS activities throughout the session. The activities include.
|1||Mohd Yousuf War||M.Sc.||Head of Department||Environmental Pollution|
|2||Mohd Ayoub Shah||M.Sc.||Asst. Professor||Plant Anatomy|
|3||Dr. Peerzada Yasir Yousuf||Ph D, UGC-CSIR NET, ASRB-NET,GATE,JK-SET||Asst. Professor (FIP)||Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology|
|4||Dr. Abrar Hussain Mir||Ph D, B.Ed||Lecturer (Contractual)||Plant systematics and genetics|
|5||Dr. Muneera||Ph D.||Lecturer (Contractual)||Plant Tissue Culture|
The following facilities are available
- Three spacious, well ventilated and illuminated labs.
- One Museum (For keeping preserved class work material)
- Specimens jars and models are housed in the department.
- Head of the department Chamber.
- A teaching faculty room
- A Laboratory Assistant Room
- A computer Laboratory with Broad band facility (Unique Attraction of the Department).
- A Research Laboratory with all necessary equipment’s.
- Audio Visual Facility in its corridor to watch educational lectures telecasted by CEC UGC.
- Professional and resourceful faculty.
- Adequate laboratory staff augment human resource component which facilitate practical part of curriculum.
- Botanical research lab which house research based high end equipment’s.
- Micro imaging equipment consisting of trinolocular microscope, fitted with CCCTV connected with laptop and three in one laser jet printer.
- The class rooms are fitted with LCD projectors with uninterrupted power supply for delivering lecture through Power point presentations.
- The guest faculties are arranged to deliver extension lectures.
Young scholars perusing Botany at under graduate level are being deputed to regions of high biodiversity or medicinal flora which grow at high altitudes. They are advised to prepare inventory of flora. . The department has purchased Students of B Sc 3rd year obtain print outs of their slides which they prepare during practical work. Final year students are being trained with preparation of dissertation on the given topics. All students of 3rd year are supposed to wear aprons in their respective labs. . The students of B Sc 3rd year Botany have examined various parameters of college lawns and water supply such as soil texture, porosity, moisture percentage, soil and water PH. Faculty members are actively engaged with production and development of e content programmes for UG students as part of CEC UGC scheme.